-
Close

History

Manufacture A. Lange & Söhne was established in Glashütte, Saxony, by Ferdinand A. Lange in 1845.

For the next hundred years, A. Lange & Söhne pocket watches were among the most sought-after timepieces in the world, until the Second World War forced the company into a 40-year hiatus. In 1990, following German reunification, Walter Lange, great-grandson of Ferdinand Adolph Lange, revived the brand which in 2000 became part of the Richemont Group.Now employing close to 500 people, half of whom are watchmakers, the company produces timepieces whose quality of execution has given new status to German mechanical watchmaking.



Key dates

Ferdinand Adolph Lange opened a workshop making precision watches in Glashütte, a village set among mountains rich in metal ore near Dresden, in the German state of Saxony.

1868

Ferdinand's son Richard joined him in the business, which became A. Lange & Söhne.

Emperor Wilhelm II commissioned A. Lange & Söhne to make a pocket watch that would be presented to Sultan Abdul Hamid II during an official tour of the Ottoman Empire.

Walter Lange was born in Glashütte. True to the family tradition, he trained as a watchmaker.

On May 8th 1945, the very last day of the Second World War, the workshops of A. Lange & Söhne were caught in a bombing raid.

The Lange family were expropriated and the East German state took possession of the company. Walter Lange had no choice than to flee the country to escape forced labour in the uranium mines.

1951

The family business was merged with other Glashütte firms into the VEB Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe, a state combine.

Following Germany's reunification, Walter Lange, great-grandson of Ferdinand Adolph Lange, was able to return to Glashütte and, on December 7th 1990, re-register the A. Lange & Söhne trademark for the entire world.

The first watches made by the new Manufacture A. Lange & Söhne were presented in Dresden and in Glashütte. The LANGE 1 was the first watch to incorporate an outsize date, inspired by the clock of the Semperoper opera house in Dresden.

2000

Lange Uhren GmbH joins the Richemont Group.

After restoration work lasting several years, the head office of A. Lange & Söhne opened in the building to which the company had moved in 1873, and where it had remained until the workshops were partly destroyed in 1945.

The balance spring developed inhouse by Lange is manufactured in the new Technology and Development Centre.

The first A. Lange & Söhne store was opened in Dresden's Neumarkt district. Others have followed since, in Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Palm Beach, Singapore and Paris.

Manufacture A. Lange & Söhne unveiled the LANGE ZEITWERK, the first mechanical wristwatch with a jumping numeric time display.

With its anniversary collection “165 Years – Homage to F. A. Lange” – a trilogy consisting of the TOURBOGRAPH “Pour le Mérite”, the LANGE 1 TOURBILLON, and the 1815 MOONPHASE in a novel gold alloy of hitherto unmatched hardness – the manufactory commemorates the spiritual legacy of the founder of Germany’s precision watchmaking industry. 

The RICHARD LANGE TOURBILLON “Pour le Mérite” embodies a fuséeand-chain transmission as well as a tourbillon with a patented stopseconds mechanism. The underlying purpose shared by both of these grand complications is to improve rate stability and precision.

The LANGE 1 TOURBILLON PERPETUAL CALENDAR unites two classic complications with the expressive LANGE 1 style. Thanks to an ingenious arrangement of the calendar displays around the time indication, it presents an abundance of information in a superbly legible layout.

Manufactured as a limited edition of six, the A. Lange & Söhne Grand Complication displays hours, minutes and seconds, and measures short intervals by means of a monopusher chronograph with foudroyant split-seconds. It also incorporates a perpetual calendar with moon phases, in addition to the rarely-seen grande and petite sonnerie complication, together with a minute repeater striking on two gongs.

Back