-
Close

History

The world's oldest watch manufacturer in continuous operation since 1755 and founder of the spirit of technical and precious Haute Horlogerie, Vacheron Constantin has been making horological history for over 260 years.

From the beginning, Vacheron Constantin devotes its every effort to perpetuating the spirit of Fine Watchmaking. The tradition of excellence that defines the Manufacture originates in the quality of execution of each of its watches. Its expertise is reflected in timepieces whose exceptionally refined finish goes beyond the demands of the Poinçon de Genève.



Key dates

17 th of September 1755. At the offices of Maître Choisy, solicitor in Geneva, Jean-Marc Vacheron, young Master Watchmaker, hires his first apprentice. This agreement is the oldest known document referring to the first watchmaker of a prestigious dynasty. It represents Vacheron Constantin’s birth certificate, the world’s most ancient watch manufacture in uninterrupted existence since its creation.

Jean-Marc Vacheron’s grandson, Jacques Barthélémy, takes over the family business.

Partnership between Jaques-Barthélemy, the founder’s grandson, and François Constantin. During a journey to Italy, in a letter sent to the Manufacture, this visionary edicted what was to become the Company’s motto: “Faire mieux si possible, ce qui est toujours possible”: “Do better if possible, which is always possible”.

Vacheron Constantin creates numerous machines, amongst which the famous “pantographe”, a mechanical tool enabling for the very first time to reproduce most accurately main watch components, thus bringing the level of quality of its timepieces to an even higher level. This invention propels the brand into the future and revolutionizes Swiss watchmaking.

Vacheron Constantin moves into the building which Jean-François Constantin, François Constantin’s nephew, has had built at Quai des Moulins. This building is nowadays the brand’s historical headquarters, known as “The Maison”.

The « Maltese cross » symbol of precision appears in the logo of our Manufacture.

Opening of the first Vacheron Constantin Boutique on l’Ile in Geneva.

Vacheron Constantin creates one the most complicated pocket-watches ever made for King Farouk of Egypt.

Vacheron Constantin celebrates its bi-centenary and on this occasion presents the worlds’ thinnest watch movement 1,64mm.

Vacheron Constantin is the first watchmaking company to receive the rare and highly coveted “Diplôme Prestige de la France” recognizing their talent in design and craftsmanship work.

Created from a 1 kilo gold ingot, the Kallista, highlighted with 118 diamonds weighing a total of 130 carats, was the world’s most expensive wristwatch of its time.

Inauguration of Vacheron Constantin’s new Manufacture in Plan-Les-Ouates, Geneva, situed at the chemin du Tourbillon as well as renovation of the brand’s historical headquarters now known as the “Maison Vacheron Constantin”.

Vacheron Constantin celebrates its 250th anniversary and presents an exceptional collection of timepieces amongst which the “Tour de l’Ile”, containing 16 complications.

Vacheron Constantin introduced its Atelier Cabinotiers, an exclusive service proposing bespoke watches, each individually made to order.

With the new innovative and contemporary « Quai de l’Ile » watch range, Vacheron Constantin combines the most advanced technologies with the best horological expertise.

Back