Close

Glashütte Original

Brand Navigation

The Maison The Models Related Content

The Maison

Portrait


History

1994: Heinz W. Pfeifer founded Glashütte Original in Glashütte, Germany. Glashütte Original, along with a handful of names such as A.Lange & Söhne, Tutima or Nomos, is symbolic of the rebirth of German fine watchmaking. Its modern history began in 1994 when Heinz W. Pfeifer bought Glashütter Uhrenbetrieb GmbH to then establish the Glashütte Original brand. Its origins, however, go back much further, to the very beginning of watchmaking in Saxony, in the middle of the nineteenth century. The brand, which joined Swatch Group in 2000, has brought manufacturing operations under its one roof, from developing movements to final assembly. Its production is characteristic of the region's particular style of watchmaking, whether in the architecture of its movements or the overall aesthetic refinement. The history of Glashütte Original merges with the wider history of watchmaking in the Saxony region. When in 1949 the German Democratic Republic was established, all watch production was brought together into a State-owned enterprise. Technical and design innovation continued nonetheless; indeed, the brand has revived certain models from the past for its 20th Century Vintage collection. A page was turned with the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. Taking its name from an inscription once added to certain timepieces as a guarantee of authenticity and provenance, Glashütte Original patiently built up its collections. Since then it has developed a number of original movements, certain of which feature highly practical and refined functions. The mechanical alarm of the Senator Diary, for example, can be programmed up to 30 days in advance. The Grande Cosmopolite Tourbillon offers, among other complications, a mechanism which memorises all 37 time zones to track time around the world. 

View Timeline

The Models